Information for Parents:
- Have your students dress in appropriate clothing for the colder weather.
- Get your students safely to and from the bus stop. Students should be at the stop no fewer than five minutes and no more than 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Be with your students at the stop to monitor behavior and assist with safety. Have your students wait for the bus at a safe spot off the road and always watch traffic.
- Have students use the handrails when boarding or exiting the bus to prevent slipping. The steps may be wet from snow off of shoes.
- Have a backup plan in case the bus is delayed. Bus drivers will run routes as scheduled; However, delays may occur if snowplows are unable to keep the roads clear or difficulties arise. Please do not let your students remain at a stop for more than 15 minutes after scheduled time.
Note: Please submit concerns about suspicious activity, wild animals, bus stop locations and so on in writing to your school.
General reminders for winter bus safety:
- Make sure you have additional room away from the approaching bus. Wait for the doors to open indicating the bus is secure. Buses can slide an additional foot after stopping on slick roads.
- Check for school cancellations due to inclement weather on your school’s website notations directly. If they utilize social media, they tend to post those closures there as well.